Water Conservation

Why Is Water Conservation Important?

Since 70 percent of the Earth is covered by water, this resource seems deceptively abundant. However, 97.5 percent of all water on Earth is salt water, leaving only 2.5 percent as fresh water. Of that fraction, 70 percent is frozen in icecaps and much of the rest is trapped as soil moisture or deep below the Earth. This leaves less than one percent of the world’s potable, or drinkable, water left for consumption. In addition, we must share that small amount among people, animals, and plants.

About Water Conservation

The US has an annual 3,700 billion gallon water deficit. We use water to drink, grow plants, and to clean dishes, clothes, cars, and ourselves. We use so much, so often, that it may seem as though it will always be there. It will not. Everyday, we dig deeper, pump faster, and ship farther to get water into our homes. The quality of water itself is diminishing as our population and demand increases.

Luckily, technologies are slowly being developed to treat water effectively and efficiently. Desalinization, although extremely costly, removes salt from water, making it drinkable. However, all the technology in the world will not change the fact that water is a limited resource that is shared by every living being on the planet. There is no substitute for conservation.

Schools In This Category »

Partnerships (e.g. Broward County Water Resource Services, South Florida Water Management District)

Saving Water in the Bathroom

Saving Water in the Cafeteria

Saving Water Outdoors

What Broward Schools Are Doing

  • Landscaping with appropriate native vegetation to promote water conservation.
  • Participating as a member, Broward Water Advisory Board (WAB) Technical Advisory Committee (TAC).
  • Promoting water conservation and reuse.
  • Protecting water quality.
  • Monitoring and measuring potable water and irrigation water consumption.
  • Promoting cistern and rain barrel use for landscape irrigation.
  • Participating in Water Matters Day.
  • Participating in the Broward Water Task Force.
  • Participating as a member of the Broward Climate Change Task Force.
  • Coordinating the Broward County Public Schools/Broward NatureScape partnership.
  • Reviewing new innovative systems and technologies that reduce water consumption.

What You Can Do

  • Purchase efficient fixtures. Look for low or no flow water plumbing fixtures.
  • Don't run on empty! Fill dishwashers to capacity before running.
  • Plug it up! Wash fruits and vegetables in a basin or plugged sink instead of under running water.
  • Reduce! Water your lawn and plants less often to save money and water.
  • Wash your car at the car wash. Take your car to the carwash instead of washing it yourself. At car washes, the water is captured and treated instead of going down the sewer drain and then directly into our waterways.
  • Make or buy a rain barrel. It's easy! All you need is a large plastic drum and gutters. Some counties provide free rain barrels. You can use this captured rain water to water plants, wash your hands, wash your car, or for janitorial purposes.


Broward County Storm Water Management

Broward Water Resources

FDEP Water Conservation

Florida Department of Environmental Protection (FDEP)

JEA Water Conservation Guide

South Florida Water Management District

United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)

US Army Corp of Engineers

USEPA Office of Water